Thursday 8 August 2013

Beacon (Koochie Koo With Backlit Smoke), Shrub Hill Common

More from the witch/smoke shoot with Koochie Koo.

Maybe there's a little too much smoke in this one - that slight haze across her face, for instance. However, as it's my first experiment gelling flash I thought I'd share it anyway. I love the combination of the CTO on the key light and the blue in the smoke.

There's not a tonne of processing on it, as I find the 5D mkiii has issues with intense blues. I see it most often with twilight shots, where there's banding in the bright blues - in the RAW file itself. Any tweaks just reinforce it, hence the cautious approach. If other 5D mkiii users see this, or know of a firmware update for it, please do shout me!

Info for Strobist:

2x Canon 600EX-RT - master on camera in Lasolite "Ezybox" at ~1/16, slave fired by built in RT in umbrella 45 degrees camera left, 2 feet above model, 3m back, gelled CTO, at 1/2 power. Backlight is from an LED strip (ungelled) just behind the model camera left, and a 220 lumen Lenser MT7 military flashlight gelled blue about 4m behind the model on the ground. There's a 1.2m silver reflector on a makeshift stand camera right, just off axis.