Friday 19 October 2012

Xenobiology (Californian Echeveria Succulent), Big Sur

Via Flickr:
Coastal succulent - some kind of echeveria? - just south of Carmel on the rocky cliffs of California's Big Sur. I liked the mix of textures; there's a really light fresh feel to the flower, the horrifically withered rusty strips and then the succulent bulge of the exotic crimson and turquoise fronds. Quite a plant, with all those iterations of growth and decay exhibited in the single moment.

I only took one lens with me, so (obviously!) it's shot with that; 24-105mm f4L IS. It's a super travel lens; competent at both ends, good bokeh, solid, weatherproof. There's quite a number of them kicking around on Ebay, I guess as it's a kit lens with the 5D series and some people prefer the f2.8 24-70mm option. Even on a crop (I used to use it on my 300D) I would recommend it if you're thinking about one lens for travel.

Been away for a few days - catching up now. Hope everyone's had a great couple of weeks.