Monday 22 October 2012

Beetle Rock Sunset #3 (Circle Flare), Sequoia National Park

Via Flickr:
This is the third in the Beetle Rock sunset series. Previous postings and a tip noted in the comments below.

I've had a lot of trouble balancing this one's processing across two screens and my iPad. I do hope this middle ground offers a decent compromise in terms of light and colour. Shooting without a GND I've had to push up the shadows a little more than I'm comfortable with. I think Flickr applies a slight green tint to this one, but who knows.

Shooting at the sun like this, I find "Live View" extremely useful. You just hide behind the camera, point it at the sun and count on your LCD not being bright enough to burn holes in your retina. When something in the scene is going to move (like cows in previous shots), I'll squint through the viewfinder to avoid shutter delay. If nothing's moving though, this is certainly kinder from an ophthalmic stand point!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week!