Thursday 2 December 2010

Eilean Donan Castle Sunset, Scotland

I did try to make an HDR of this using some free software, but it was a resounding failure! Lots of turquoise patches appeared from nowhere. Clearly I have a lot to learn if I'm to do it successfully and I have a new respect for people that process HDR shots. Instead just brought through some of the stone detail in Photoshop, and perhaps not enough, but I wanted to try to keep it natural looking.

Perhaps I'm just not destined for proper HDR work. It always seemed a little excessive for me and my main interest is getting stuff done in camera first. That said, I'd love to have at least given it a go. So if anyone can recommend some free software they enjoy using, I'd be delighted to hear about it in the comments.

For the moment, it's all manual!

This shot is from a couple of weekends back hiking in the highlands, after my panicked realisation that climbing munros in November demanding technique as well as stamina. That curtailed a six top day to a single top day and meant we were down in time to take some pictures. It's a super place, though I'm still not sure about the seaweed through the foreground. Perhaps it adds a little quirkiness and sense of individuality.

Hope everyone is well and having a great week, as always.

See Eilean Donan Castle Sunset, Scotland on Flickr.