Friday 5 November 2010

Crop Rotation (Sunset & Cows), Dorset

I've had this one lurking about for ages as I have agonised endlessly about whether or not, and if so, then how to crop it. I love the massively sweep of glowing cloud, but the cows demand a good close-up too. Below is the portrait crop I think I prefer, but I thought I would post the main picture above in the hope people might add notes to show any preferred crops they might have.

Since September I've started shooting everything in RAW. This image is a case in point; the power of the white balance adjustment is so far reaching I don't think I'll go back to jpg soon. It took all the strength in my body to resist the urge to turn the sky bullfrog green! In this instance, I switched the WB to "shade" in LR3, boosting the warmth significantly. It's another shot with my old 18-200mm Sigma which casts Cyan-end CA along any silhouette lines, so I dropped the Aqua saturation to zero, clearly adding a bit more warmth.

Hope everyone is fantastically well and having a great week. Happy Diwali and Fireworks Night to all!

See Crop Rotation (Sunset & Cows), Dorset on Flickr.